6.03.2013

(Altered) States

This weekend was awesome. Sometimes it feels good not to plan out your time and go with the flow! Sundays have been a day that I've cleared out to spend with my family - whether it be snuggles on the couch with all of our comforters and pillows, a movie date, or my dad cooking a delicious dinner (owning multiple restaurants will do that!). 

Yesterday we went to Kelly's Landing, a small restaurant in Manotick overlooking the water. We luckily escaped the rain and had drinks and fish tacos, taking in the sun and catching up! We still plan a "family" vacation every year, and everyone knows with a good trip, half the fun is in the planning! This year we're throwing around the idea of Boston, Chicago, or renting a houseboat and just taking off for a few days (think we were inspired by the boats going by us on the water or what? Ha).

All of the recent summer talk has gotten me so excited and inspired for the months ahead! I've put a lot of time into decorating my home, and I love changing up the decor with the seasons. If you've read my first post, you may have learned that I like things to be simple. If I see a recipe with more then 5 ingredients, I probably won't make it. If I see a DIY with a complicated list of instructions, I likely won't complete it. That's just the way I am! (I blame all of my Ikea furniture over the years for this one...) 
Altered States was a name I was throwing around for a small business for a long time. I even made a business plan for it in school! However, timing wasn't right, so here it is, the new title for my DIY posts. Taking something simple and making it unique gives the best kind of satisfaction!

This has been one of my favorite, not to mention easy, DIY projects. I probably started and finished it in about 2 hours - and this was including making a new playlist to listen to!
Before I moved in I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of frames for around the house. The one pictured above is just a clear glass frame, with a black edge. Originally I had placed records in it and put it up on the wall.

I've always loved collaging, and I wanted to display that somewhere in the house. I realized this would be the perfect collage frame! So I went and got another one (under 10$), and took out a pile of magazines.
 
I cut out "seasonal" pictures from magazines (Better Homes and Gardens & Martha Stewart Living are my favorite go-to's, summer editions) to use as my background. If you're really getting into scrapbooking or collaging, you can buy old magazines inexpensively in bulk online, or at a local thrift store (I've seen tons at Salvation Army and Goodwill in Ottawa!)
Then I picked out my favorite summer pictures I had of Jeff and I, and friends.

I laid them all out on the glass of the frame, moving them around until I was happy with their placement. I put the other piece of glass back on top (no need for glue or tape, the glass will hold it together!) and put the frame on the wall. 
You can save it to reuse every season, or take out the pictures and make a new one once fall rolls around! Easy DIY wall art.
A quick flashback to my fall frame :)

Happy Monday!

Sam
The (un)Organized Mind + Blog design by labinastudio.