9.26.2013

(un)Acheivable: Do what you love

 
(shamless puppy picture...Tucker is the best brother I never had growing up)

I know a lot of my friends and loved ones have been asking me "where I've been lately". I thought I'd take some time to shed some light on my current situation!

I wish I could find the words to describe passion, but the best way I can put it is this:

Getting so incredibly stoked about an idea or a project, that when I close my eyes my stomach does flip flops. I internally have a dance party to Da Rude's Sandstorm. It's like being on a sugar high of some sort of skittles/pop rocks/fun dip/nerds concoction.  Basically it's the kind of excited that has me jumping on my couch circa Tom-Cruise-on-Oprah.

(What do you mean this isn't the Websters definition of "passion"? Am I the only one who is comfortable using Tom Cruise in a comparison? Oh...)


This last month I've been having the above feelings more frequently then not, and I think this is how I've come to realize that business is my passion. I could say I've been fairly lucky, but I'm starting to believe recently that there isn't such thing as "luck". Luck actually looks a lot like putting overtime in at work, thinking and reflecting 24/7, and finding yourself in odd situations that somehow lead to creative opportunities. However it's happened, I've found myself in a pretty great place. Business is booming. Literally!
Granted, at first I was very nervous. This meant choosing a lifestyle: one that left little free time, no weekends, no "lazing around". Less partying (& I have been known to love a good party). A lifestyle I saw my parents choose and never quite understood.

I always saw others and thought: so-and-so is so musically talented, good at math, excelling at sports. You get the idea: I think we've all felt that way before. There's so much out there. I guess sometimes you have to try a few things before you find what you're meant to do.

It's sad because I don't believe enough people go out and find (or are given the opportunity) to find something they're truly passionate about. With having so many social anxieties in high school, there isn't really much opportunity to learn who you "are" until after you're out in the real world! And even then, there is so much pressure to choose a university and a career path by the age of 17 that how is anyone supposed to find that thing that they're meant to do?

Anyways: Lots of big ideas, lots of inspirational people, lots of work to be done - but I've definitely found that when you have the passion, the work comes secondary.

 (always leaving time to be with my little family & enjoying what little relaxing time I do have!)

Sam
The (un)Organized Mind + Blog design by labinastudio.