8.01.2013

Books (not) to Read in 2013

About a month ago, I wrote my first book related post. I talked about my love for books, and wanting to share what I've been reading: novels that  create conversation, or novels that others may find relatable.

So, I can't help but be disappointed when I'm reading a book that is so blah. Poor plot, no character development, drawn out story line.

Opinions always differ when it comes to what makes a "good book", and that's one of the things I love about reading. However, there is a time and place for a critique. There are so many books out there, that I see it as my job to save others from reading a lesser quality novel!

Not to say I don't love a trashy novel here and there (Hello, Nicholas Sparks), but my last book was not a winner. 



It's been almost 10 years since the original came out, and I was (and still am!) completely obsessed with The Devil Wears Prada. To me, it was the perfect mix: high fashion, extravagant parties, relateable characters, fun drama. Everything I look for in a beach read!

I bought Revenge Wears Prada the day it was released. It's taken me nearly a month to get through it: which is obscene for me, especially for an easy read like this!

I can't describe how disappointed I was with this book. My beloved characters felt lost and had little direction. Andy has conformed to high society and become downright unlikeable, each chapter revolving around her ridiculous first-world-problems. Miranda was essentially void from the entire book (How could this be? She is arguably the best villain ever written!). The subjects they touched on were not only boring, but silly.

I waited the entire book for something to happen, and - spoiler alert - it was a total snoozefest. I give it 2/5 stars solely on the fact that I needed to know how the story ended. 


The anticipation I had for this sequel ultimately led to disappointment (and from other reviews I've read, I'm not the only one). Seemed like the author may have been looking to "cash in" on the franchise, as the story came off as forced and desperate. 

 Lesson: Sequels rarely measure up to the original (Harry Potter as a sole exception...)

With my next book, I definitely need something that will be a bit more mentally challenging. Hopefully I'll be back with renewed faith & a more positive review!

Happy Thursday!
The (un)Organized Mind + Blog design by labinastudio.